Select Page

In the Schengen area

L and B residence permits entitle their holders to travel within the Schengen area (for example, during the holidays or for study trips of a maximum of 90 days).

If a student leaves Switzerland for more than three months, the authorities can consider that their permit has become invalid and cancel it (see section on the end of stay).

Outside the Schengen area

In theory, during the period in which a residence permit is valid, a student does not need a visa to enter and leave Switzerland. Please note, however, that issues may arise during a permit renewal procedure (for example, where the renewal of a permit has been refused and the refusal has been appealed by a student who wishes, while waiting for the outcome, to spend their holidays in their country of origin). It is important to seek legal advice on a case-by-case basis.