Select Page

If one fails or changes one’s course of study, the purpose of the stay for which the permit was granted may be considered as having been achieved. In such a case, the residence permit loses its validity.

At the UNIGE, changing faculty or even department within a faculty is risky. Before taking such a step, it is essential to contact the CUAE or an advice center for further information.

Starting a new degree is considered as a new course of study, even if the degree is a continuation of the first one (e.g. a Master’s degree following on from a Bachelor’s degree).

A change in course of study will often mean that one needs to reapply for a residence permit, and that the conditions will be examined anew by the migration authorities (cantonal and federal if the student comes from a country on the SEM’s list). However, previous stays and the extension of the duration of the course weigh against the student.

Legal basis: Art. 61 FNIA